Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Atlanta, GA to Southeast Missouri - 495 Miles

Well last night I was supposed to drive down to Jacksonville, FL. But as I awoke from my nap around 7PM to get ready to drive, I received a message stating my load was canceled. Arrrggggg!! In a rare achievement of actually getting a good nap before an all night drive, now I have to try and sleep again tonight. Which I did finally just after midnight.

Anyway, so I wake up this morning about 6:30. Waited and waited, finally getting a load assignment about 9:30. I drove about 6 miles away over to the Forest Park area of southeast Atlanta to O'Reilly Auto Parts. They finished loading my trailer at 11:00 AM with a bunch of junk car batteries. 38,700 lbs worth.

Let there and headed around the I-285 loop, north to I-75 and stopped in Cartersville, GA for fuel and lunch. I also scaled the load which was a good thing because I was 3,000 lbs overweight on the trailer tandems. So I had to slide the axles back.

Now back on the way north on I-75 to I-24 west, through Tennessee and into Kentucky. At Paduca, KY I got off the interstate and onto US60 west down some 2 lane back roads into Missouri. By then it was dark and raining. And with the narrow roads and the narrow 2 lane bridges crossing both the Kentucky and Mississippi Rivers, it was just a little tense. I think I've been this route before, but it was during the day. At night and in the rain though...

But I made it to Scott City, MO to the battery recyclers where I will unload in the morning.

That's another day in the life of a trucker. See ya tomorrow.

1 comment: