Saturday, August 1, 2009

Taking My Time and Seeing Some Sights

Well today was a more relaxed day. My load today was ready a bit earlier than expected at 8:00 AM instead of 10:00 AM. It was only a 478 mile trip from Plainfield, IN to Kansas City, KS and I had two days to get it there. Although I still wanted to deliver it today which wasn't a problem. This just meant I can take my time and do some sight seeing and geocaching along the way.

So I jumped onto I-70 and headed westbound. After about an hour I came upon a Pilot Truck stop with a McDonald's so I pulled in for my usual McD's #2 breakfast consisting of a sausage McMuffin meal with a large sweet tea. Sometimes I'll add and orange juice for something healthy, but not today.

Continuing down the highway, today I finally had a chance to pull off the highway and visit a sight which I have passed by many times before. The giant Cross in Effingham, IL at the junctions of I-70 and I-57. Completed in July of 2001, this giant cross stands 198 feet into the air. Around the base of the cross are 10 monuments dedicated to each of the 10 commandments which also include a short audio message. There's also a chapel on site nearby. I'm glad I finally got a chance to visit this inspiration site.

I caught a little rain shower around St. Louis, MO, but it wasn't much for this Florida native.

About 4:30 PM I stopped at a T/A in Concordia, MO for dinner (spaghetti and meatballs). After dinner, I drove down a few more miles to a Pilot truck stop where I fueled up. Then it was only about an hour before reaching my destination in Kansas City, KS.

Between the two Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO, the Kansas and Missouri Rivers converge into the Missouri River. This was also a campsite for the Louis and Clark Expedition in 1804. So after I dropped my trailer at the destination, I bobtailed down to the campsite area which sites behind some warehouses. Kinda unusual having this historical park in an industrial area. There wasn't much "industry" going on this Saturday afternoon, but there were a few people fishing, some families having a cookout, and some boaters out on the river. There's also a few geocaches here which is how I found it to begin with, and that's what I'm after!

Anyway, now I'm back at the Con-Way Freight yard which was my destination. There are 17 Con-Way Truckload drivers available for loads right now in the Kansas City area so I'll probably be sitting here until sometime Sunday. Hopefully NOT until Monday! I'll let you know tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment