Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Day Off in West Memphis Then to Indiana

Saturday I spent the day at our terminal in West Memphis, AR. Didn't do much. The highlight of the day was going to lunch at Margarita's Mexican restaurant. The beef burrito special! A beef burrito covered in red sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream. Then I followed that up with their excellent dessert of fried cheese cake and vanilla ice cream. MmmMmm Good!

The rest of the time I spent looking up geocaches for my vacation next week. I didn't get my load assignment until after lunch and it was just a short 500 mile run up to Indiana due Monday. So I waited there at the terminal and reset my work clocks.

Sunday morning I bobtailed over to McDonald's for breakfast getting my usual sausage egg and cheese McMuffin, orange juice, and sweet tea. Then back to the terminal to pick up my loaded trailer. I have a load of Caterpiller parts going to Lafayette, Indiana. By 9:00 AM, I'm headed north on I-55 then north on I-57.

At 2:15 PM, I was getting kinda hungry so I pulled over at a truck stop in Effingham, IL. A good choice because right across the street was a Friday's restaurant! So much better than truck stop food. Lunch took just over an hour because they ended up giving my ribs to another customer. But I did receive a coupon for a free dessert and an additional $5 off my meal. I can deal with that. Plus it was a good thing I wasn't in a hurry!

Now heading east on I-74, I stop for fuel at a Pilot in Covington, IN. Continued east on I-74 to US231 north.

I arrived in Lafayette, IN around 7:00 PM. My instructions had me going to two different locations about a mile apart as if I was making two different deliveries. And to make matters worse, the directions for my first stop went to two different areas. So I went for the first location but couldn't find the Caterpiller plant. Then I proceeded to find my 2nd stop which was fairly easy. It was a Caterpiller warehouse which was closed. BUT they had parking!

After sitting there a few minutes, I decided to drop my trailer there and bobtail around to try and find the other location. It makes it much easier to get around when you're not sure where you're going when you don't have a 53' trailer following along behind you! So using Google Earth and my GPS, I eventually found the main plant. Cool! Now I know where I'm going in the morning.

Now I'm sitting at the quiet warehouse and the weather is cool so I can get some sleep with the truck turned off. That's it for now. See ya next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment