Tuesday, September 1, 2009

From Georgia to North Carolina

Since I didn't really do a whole lot yesterday, today felt more like a Monday than a Tuesday. Woke up this morning around 7:00 AM at the Petro truck stop in Atlanta. I went inside to the restaurant there for breakfast. Skipping the buffet, I ordered 3 eggs over easy, bacon, hash browns, and wheat toast along with sweet tea AND and orange juice. I gotta have something healthy every now and then.

After breakfast I drove on down the road just 5 miles away to the Keystone Automotive warehouse where they unloaded 80 cartons of bumpers that where in the trailer. By 10:45 AM I'm heading down to McRae, GA 160 miles away to pickup my next load. I take the I-285 Atlanta bypass loop south to I-75 south to Macon, then I-16 east.

Since I have plenty of time to make my appointment, I did stop at one rest area along I-16 to grab a Geocache. Then I turn south onto US319 in Dublin to get to McRae. I arrive there at 2:15 PM and by 3:00 PM I'm loaded and headed back north towards Pennsylvania. A quick stop again in Dublin for fuel and McDonald's.

Then it's non-stop east on I-16 to US1 north to I-20 east to I-77 north. Passing through South Carolina, I come to a stop in Troutman, North Carolina at the Hess Travel Center. That's a 535 mile day for today which leaves me 545 miles for tomorrow to my destination.

But now... I'm tired! See ya tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Mark,

    More q's...
    How many miles are you averaging per week?

    Is your next load determined before you offload your current load?

    Do you have any discretion over where you go, etc?

    Does your company hire newbies right out of school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I average 2400-2800 miles per week, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time I have a preassigned load before I unload. When I used to work for Werner, I had no say on where I went. With Con-Way/CFI, I still have to go where they send me, but when I am at one of their 5/6 terminals throughout the country I am given a choice of different loads from which to choose. All companies are different though. And if you are Owner/operator you have full choice of where you want to go. No, our company requires at least 6 months experience.

    ReplyDelete