Monday, October 26, 2009

Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines...

Well not quite in that order, but I did pay a visit to each one of their bases today.

I started out at 6AM this morning in Kings Bay, GA and the Naval Submarine Base. First stop, security office to get a pass and background check. Cleared. Then over to the vehicle inspection bay where they did a full x-ray on the tractor and trailer! Cleared. Drove around a bit and I finally find the right building I'm unloading to. I was hoping to see some subs or something cool. But it was too dark and what I could tell, I wasn't anywhere close.

Next stop, 40 miles south across the Florida border. I arrived at the Blount Island Marine Base around 8:30. First stop, security office to get a pass and background check. Cleared. Then over to the vehicle inspection bay. No x-ray this time, but they did check it over real good. Cleared. Found the building to where I was unloading and a few minutes later, I was rolling again. Nothing worth taking a picture here. Just a lot of green or beige HumVee's.

Next stop was 16 miles away at the Mayport Naval Station. First stop, vehicle inspection bay. Thought I was going to say security off first huh? Nope. Cleared. The I went to the security office to get a pass and background check. Cleared. I had two stops in here. The first was at an Army Depot Supply building. Then a few miles away within the base was another stop to unload a few more pallets. At this 2nd location right across the street were about a dozen ships there in the port. Now that looked pretty cool so I took a few pictures.







After I left there, I circled Jacksonville over to the Jacksonville Naval Complex and Air Force Base. First stop, security office to get a pass and background check. Cleared again. Then over to the vehicle inspection bay. Cleared again. Boy I'm getting tired of this! Good thing it's the last one. I had three different stops in here. There were some pretty cool planes in here, but I wasn't able to get any pictures from my vantage point.

As I exited the base and was waiting for the light on Roosevelt Blvd to turn green, There was a guy standing on the corner with an anti-Obama sign and t-shirt. I then noticed a bunch of other people parked across the street with lawn chairs or standing, most with cameras all looking towards the base. I waved the protester guy over and asked what was going on. He said Obama was getting ready to land there any minute. Well I was already outside security and the light had changed to green. Now I'm NOT an Obama fan, but it would have been cool to get some pics of Air Force One!

By now though, what's most on my mind is food! I haven't eaten a thing all day and it's after 3PM. And I'd like to get a shower. I drive south on I-95 to the truck stops. FULL! No parking was available. So I drive back up into Jacksonville, around the west side I-295 loop, and west on I-10 to Baldwin, FL and the truck stops there. FULL! No parking available.

By now I also got my next load assignment. A relay with another driver in the morning at the Michael's warehouse. So I drive back east on I-10 to just before the I-295 loop in Jacksonville. I park at the Michael's warehouse, drop my trailer, and bobtail 3 miles over to the Holiday Inn. It's 5PM now and they have an excellent buffet and at a reasonable price!

I start with a crisp fresh salad, then sliced ham, stuffed cabbage, beef and peppers, rice, and mashed potatoes. Then a slice of spice cake and pecan pie. I would like to have had 2nds, 3rds, and 4ths on the dessert, but I was already stuffed! SOOOO GOOD!

I picked up 3 Geocaches on the way back to Michael's. Now I sit and wait here until morning. My stomach's plenty full, but still no shower. Maybe it will rain...

See you back tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mark i see you are still moving they have called me and asked me to comee back but im not sure thats on my agenda i start driving for Indian River Transport on the 10th there you get a bonus every month if you drive 14000 miles and they say thats pretty regular and it works out to 40cpm i hope so even if i just drive 3500 a week ill be happy i know i was getting tired of sitting at truck stops with con way its got to be better than that lol oh just to let you know im not an Obama Fan neather ha ha ha hey i hope this note finds you well and moving talk to you latter
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete