Saturday, October 10, 2009

From Georgia to South Carolina via Florida!

What? From Georgia to South Carolina via Florida? What kind of driving is that you say?

Well that pretty much sums it up! I was in North Georgia too! I started out in Patillo, which is about halfway between Atlanta and Macon, around 7AM. Drove for an hour before stopping in Vienna, GA at a truck stop with a McDonald's. You know McDonald's has their Monopoly game going on right now and I had won a FREE breakfast sandwich. WOHOO!! So I used that this morning.

Continuing south on I-75 into Florida, east on I-10 all the way to Jacksonville. I dropped my loaded trailer with the appliances at the Sears warehouse and picked up an empty at 1PM. I quickly received my next load info and after inputting the addresses into my Streets & Trips, I was on the way.

Just 30 miles northeast of Jacksonville, I picked up 11 GIANT rolls of paper weighing in at 41,000 lbs in Fernandina Beach, FL. Now I'm heading north on I-95 back up into Georgia. At 4:30, I stop in Woodbine, GA and make a quick ham & cheese sandwich. While at the truck stop, I weigh the truck on the CAT Scales to make sure I'm balanced OK being that heavy.

Now it's non-stop continuing north on I-95 into South Carolina where I turn west onto I-26. I drove as far as Bowman, when I pulled into a Pilot for the night. It's only 180 miles to my final stop in North Carolina and it doesn't deliver until Monday morning. So I have plenty of time.

A pretty good week this past week. I was dispatched on almost 3200 miles! With the economy the way it is, I haven't seen a 3000+ week in several months.

Anyway, that's it for today. Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

  1. Mark,
    This is the first time I've posted a comment here, but just wanted to say thank you for your efforts. I've been learning a lot from you. Like CPA Trucker Wannabe, I've taken an interest in driving for a living, but have been waiting out this slow economy since I already have a good-paying job here in Houston.

    Your travels through my back yard this week were especially interesting- lots of places I'm very familiar with. Glad you stopped at Hinze's for barbecue- one of the two best places on your route IMHO.

    Well, thanks again for your posts- am looking forward to more. Oh, and a little unsolicited advice out of concern: order a SALAD every now and then! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for posting your comments and I'm glad you've found my blog to be helpful. The economy has been a damper lately. I've only been driving for just 2 1/2 years and have noticed a difference in the past 6 months.

    Hinze's was pretty good. What was the other place you'd recommend and do they have truck parking?

    Salads: LOL! I love salads. I usually do eat a salad when I'm at a buffet if the lettuce still looks fresh. Also, if I find myself at a nicer sit down like a Fridays or something, I'll order the salad as my side. There's a few restaurants out there where that's ALL I get is a salad!

    Plus sometimes when I stock up on groceries in the truck, I'll get either a vegetable or fruit tray. Or sometimes both! Last week I was somewhere that had huge peaches which I bought a half dozen for a snack while driving.

    But I appreciate the concern. I do try to eat somewhat healthy. Always order the lettuce and tomatoes on the burgers! Plus I don't mind a long walk or bike ride too.

    Again, thanks for reading. Give your name so I know what to call you.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Lee in Houston again...

    Well, that's a relief! (Of course, my concern was more for me than you: I didn't know if I would ever be able to survive in trucking if all I ever got to eat was fast food!) LOL

    That other BBQ place I was thinking of is Joe Cotten's on US77 at Robstown- no menu, just great barbecue served on butcher paper with an awesome home-made sauce that I've been trying to figure out for years. Oh yeah, they're cash only. They don't have truck parking at the restaurant itself, but there may be someplace nearby. I'll have to take a look the next time I'm down that way. It's definitely worth a walk.

    Well, it sounds like they keep you rolling pretty steadily even if things have slowed up overall. My father runs flatbed out west; he's been hit pretty hard by the slowup of construction. A lot of his loads are building materials. It'll turn around one of these days, though.

    Well, be safe. I look forward to hearing more about your life on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lee, I'll walk a block or two for good BBQ! Let me know.

    ReplyDelete