Friday, August 21, 2009

From Texas to Illinois With a GREAT Lunch

Woke up this morning in a little Texas town called Henderson around 6:30. I still had about an hour to go before my mandatory 10 hour break was over, so as the sun woke up I walked a 1/2 mile down the road to grab a geocache outside a local radio station office.

When I returned I went inside the little truck stop to grab a couple of Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies for breakfast since there weren't any restaurants around. Plus I didn't want to eat too much because I'll be passing through West Memphis today and that meant some good food for lunch!

So, continuing up US259, east on I-20, to US59 north, to I-30 east, to I-40 east. I drove non-stop until 2:30 that afternoon all the way to West Memphis, Arkansas. I pulled into the Con-Way terminal, dropped the trailer, and bobtailed down to the end of the road to Margaritas. In my opinion, Margaritas is probably THE best Mexican restaurant in the country. So far, I've never eaten anything there that I haven't liked. And save room for dessert because their fried cheesecake with vanilla ice cream drizzled with chocolate syrup is OH SO GOOD!

Anyway, after lunch I bobtailed back to the terminal, hooked up to the trailer and off I went. From West Memphis, north on I-55 into Missouri, then to I-57 north crossing the Mississippi River into Illinois. Then I arrive in Mt Vernon, IL at 7:30 PM where I pull into a Pilot truck stop for the night. Today's trip was 659 miles long.

As the sun was setting here, I look online and spotted a geocache just a 1/4 mile away so I walked down to grab it too. I hit the showers upon returning, and now it's time for bed.

Thanks for stopping by and we'll see you again tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, Mark, I have to ask...how do you survive on the diet you mention (unless you are one of those six foot tall, 160lb guys who can eat every two hours without fear of gaining weight)?

    Now, don't get me wrong, some of the food sounds terrific, but if I eat those things I'd be 400lbs.

    Just had to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. I may eat alot, but I don't eat often. Rarely do I eat more than twice a day. Usually a breakfast and a late lunch; or I'll skip breakfast and have a big lunch and maybe a desert for dinner.

    Plus the geocaching via walking or biking as much as possible help too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if you want to post here but I want to ask a question about pay as a new driver and then one, just as you, who's been at it for going on 3 years.

    If you don't want to post here, would you email me at 94nole@gmail.com and give me some insight as to what I can expect starting out and a ballpark of what I can expect 2-3 years from now.

    I really would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too many variables. You really need to talk to alot of different drivers with different companies and do some research. Most of your big companies that hire green drivers fresh out of school pay 25-30 cents per mile and you may only get 1500-1800 miles a week. After 6-12 months you move to a better company and may get 30-35 cents per mile. Mileage still varies a lot. I average 2200-2500 miles a week. Other options for extra pay include HazMat, tanker, and flatbed. But talk to the drivers. Company recruiters can promise you 45-48 cents per mile but may not tell you that you may only get 1200-1500 miles a week!

    ReplyDelete