Thursday, August 20, 2009

You Can Drive Forever and Never Leave Texas

Well I got the knock on my truck door about 2:30AM this morning. The warehouse where I was sleeping told me to back up to the dock and they'll get me unloaded. It didn't take long. I got up, got dressed, backed in, they unloaded, I parked back where I was, I sent in an empty message, and went back to bed. All that in about 30 minutes.

I woke up again on my own around 7:00AM. Got up again and drove a block down the street to a Jack-in-the-Box which had a few truck parking spots. Begrudgingly, I decided to eat breakfast there too. A sausage, egg, and cheese croissant which had almost ZERO flavor. But their sweet tea wasn't bad.

After I finished eating, another Con-Way driver pulled in too. He was unloading back at the warehouse when I left. We chatted for a bit and then I returned to my truck to wait for my next load assignment.

Finally about 11:00 AM they sent me my next load information. Yippee! I thought I was going to end up with another low mileage week, but they gave me a nice long run to finish out the week not too bad. After writing the info down in my book, I program my mapping software in my laptop. A few minutes later and heading east on I-10 towards Baytown, TX to pick up a load at the WalMart DC.

I couldn't leave Texas without BBQ, so I stopped at my favorite Jerry Mikeska's BBQ at exit #698 in Columbus, TX. One of these days I'll remember to take my camera inside for some pics to post here. It's got a really cool interior decor!

Anyway, back on the road. I get to Baytown around 5:00PM, hook up to the preloaded trailer and head back north. A quick stop for fuel at the Pilot there in Baytown, then west on I-10 back towards Houston. Once I reach the outer loop around Houston (the Sam Houston Parkway), I take it northbound. Looping around, I hop onto US59 north all the way to Nacogdoches, TX where I pickup US259 north. I continue on until I spotted a small truck stop in Henderson, TX about 10:30 PM. That's where I'm at now and that's where I'll be spending the night.

Cause I'm tired! Good night and see ya tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I would like to know how does your wife feel about you being on the road all the time? Or does she ride with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, have you been with Con-Way the entire 2½ years?

    I am considering a major career change but am not interested in working for virtually nothing for a scumbag company. Suggestions for a brand new CDL A licensee?

    And by the way, I am CPA Trucker Wannabe but I can't figure out how to post as me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and I both would rather me be home every night, but for now this is it. I was already driving when we met (online) so she knew what she was getting into. We've been married now for 1 year next month.

    It's going to be tough for a new driver just starting out. You're gonna have to work for the "trainer" companies to start out with like Werner, JB Hunt, Swift, etc. Expect low pay for the first 3-6 months until you can get on with a better company. Unless you started out as a team driver with another experienced driver, you may get into a good company to start out with. Run as a team for a while and then say you want to drive solo after a few months.

    Either way, do you homework. Talk to drivers NOT recruiters. Recruiters promise everything, but can't guarantee anything. Most drivers will be straight with you.

    ReplyDelete